Sunday 19 May 2013

The Week in Writing #1

Since the beginning of the week two MAJOR things happened for me.

Firstly, I finally finished my three year Scriptwriting course (which actually took me four years). Handing the final essay in early was a huge relief. The journey was somewhat overwhelming, it really made me realise that I'd overcome my biggest challenge to date. I was somewhat woeful that the journey was over, but how can I ever become a fully fledged writer unless I complete my course?

The second of all was... well this blog! I set it up on the Wednesday along with my first post. Now I have a blog I have a responsibility to write as often as possible. What makes it even better is, it's casual. There is little authority on how I write and what I post. It's all part of my creative control.

I've certainly learned some things about my son as this week has dragged along. My son really has a taste for music. His guitar obsession and sudden love for bands like: Nirvana, Reuben and McFly has caused a ripple in most peoples lives. For instance, his nursery set up a week dedicated to teaching the toddler group about music and live events. They made posters for the music and made it out to be like a festival. This was all on the fact that he DEMANDED to play with a guitar.
For this reason, I'm super proud of him. His spoilt, rock star attitude got him what he really wanted and not only that, the workers expressed how well he behaved. I now know he behaves best when playing music.

In the scriptwriting realm, I took it upon myself to attempt to write a script for a 48 hour film challenge. The goal was write, shoot and edit a 2-3 minute film based on the chosen word "Tippet-Panda". The team of three, including the soon mum-to-be Loti chose to include free running in the story.
The script took a very swift 1 and a half hours. Mostly because, the time we all had was inundated with our jobs, so they'd started filming before the script was finished.
Needless to say, we handed in our final piece on time. We stuck around to watch the other entries and the awards ceremony. Sadly, no awards. I was a bit salty about it, but the quality of most of the entries were very good. However, we made a short film in 48 hours! Of the 16 that entered, only 10 turned up. To do that much is still pretty sweet. Afterwards, there were talks about a possible project on the horizon. I shall inform you of any progress asap.

So, though most days were filled with work and the realisation that I'm no longer a student. I did a fairly eventful week.

THINGS TO TAKE AWAY FROM MY BLOG:

Kids do have a secret passion that is both inspirational and saves them tearing the walls down. They'll let you know soon enough.

Always take pride in something you've been able to finish, no matter if it's your first project or you eight hundred and seventy seventh. If you enjoyed the experience and would do it again, keep at it.

That was the week in writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment