Thursday 20 June 2013

Becoming the Writing-Dad

Let me explain a little about myself, how I establish myself as a dad and a writer at the same time.

I arrived at University after just turning 20. After learning maybe my acting skills weren't well received, I made a stubborn decision which was 'well, if you don't think I'm good enough, I'll learn to write and write myself into a film'. The only issue was that I had to learn to write.

What I had not expected is I would meet my partner on a lonely night in. Yes, she studied at the University all of a stones throw away from me, but I still only met her online. Nuts. After getting to know how much we had in common, we really started to get close. Romance sparked, the word love was passed about and we had a lot of fun times.

By the end of the year, I had discovered something very clear to me. I do not want to act in my scripts, not because of my content, but because I learned that I was enjoying the writing aspect. My place in performance was always going to be minimal. I learned I needed to grow up, I was still a little immature which some of my classmates would agree. Yet I was in position to grow up, improve as a writer and had the girl, then I was to discover something else new...

Me and my partner were expecting, but we weren't just recently expecting, we were 26 weeks expecting. Wow, where on earth did that come from? Well, there was no walking away from this, I was going to be a dad, ready or not.

Me and my partner had some decision making to do and plenty of planning to do. In 48 hours we had our plans for parenthood, accommodation and finance planned. After a valued discussion with my partners mother, we were told not to give up on University and keep at it.

That discussion was probably the catalyst that I needed for the rest of my life. To this day I still remember her words as I write this. I chose to focus harder at improving by writing and keep striving towards the career I want. Okay, I haven't had a lot of time to focus on the goal, but I was able to share my time as a family member and a writer. Without those words, I may have given writing a second thought, so I have a lot thank my now mother-in-law to be.

Today, I'm a graduate of Bournemouth University, I still write and I am the proud father of a great son. I stuck to my dream, I gave my commitment and love to a new adventure and responsibility. It is all built on basis that parenthood is not an obstacle, it's a blessing. I am grateful for it and live to be the best I can be in every aspect of life.

I hope other parents and parents to be that do get to read this and have curbed a dream to be parents. I hope that, even if the circumstances mean they don't get to keep going never lose sight of what they wish to achieve and see parenthood and success as a complete package.

No comments:

Post a Comment